Skip to main content

Make Sense

OK, for the second of my comprehensive two-part program to improve the district I used to work in, I propose that we all try to Make Sense.  If you think that is an obvious point, you clearly have not worked in this district.

1. The person in charge of subbing shouldn't sign people up for jobs and then not tell them about it, making it impossible for them to show up.
2. More than one person in the district should know how to reset the clocks.
3. The district should not require time travel in order to get all professional development days completed.
4. If you want kids to do projects using the Internet, you have to provide computers and Internet access.
5. It rains sometimes.  We need a plan.
6. Assessing children on math concepts that haven't been taught yet makes no sense.  And is incredibly frustrating.
7. If you build a playground and then don't let the kids play on it, they get sad.  And parents get angry.
8. Why would you spend a ton of money to open small schools  all over the district just to close them again?
9. It's not that hard to get names of schools right on signs.
10. More time travel required.

I welcome any other suggestions on either this or the Be Nicer post.   Again, this is not universal - there are very nice people who make sense.  However, there are enough people who are not nice and make no sense that make a lot of us crazy.  And then we have to leave to get un-crazy.

Four years ago: National Day of the Teacher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Volunteers

I had some of the most overqualified volunteers ever in my third grade class.  This may have had something to do with the fact that I shamelessly begged my friends to help in any way possible.  I think there were a few friends who I asked to come as soon as I met them, before I was entirely sure of their names.  Some of my volunteers included: -Someone with an MFA helping kids read -a PhD candidate in chemical engineering from Stanford helping with math -a PhD candidate in civil engineering from Cal helping with math -several PhD candidates in engineering from Cal teaching about construction (several years in a row) and helping with a field trip -my extremely talented brother bringing his drums several times -a friend from Pixar who got us tours three different years, once when they were no longer giving tours - and came to the class to sign the kids' toys from Cars . -a physical therapist (who I think has a masters') who helped the kids with reading -many athlet...

The Best Mistake

I recently wanted to get a pedicure (I promise this will be important) and was looking at nail salons nearby. I knew there was a place called Kim's Nails near my exercise class, so I quickly googled to see if I could make an appointment online (I hate calling on the phone) and it let me, so I made an appointment for a few days later and went on with my day. Later that day, I got a text confirming my appointment and I realized that I had made the appointment at the wrong Kim's Nails! I meant to make an appointment for the one in my city and I made one at a nail shop in the next city over (Kim's Nails is a common business name). Because I had already made the appointment and they had taken the time to text me, I figured I'd just go with it. OK, if you're still with me, this is where it gets exciting! A few hours after I got the confirmation text, the owner of Kim's Nails texted me again. the text just said, "Are you a teacher?" I didn't know why they...

The Endless Cycle of Teacher Strikes

 As I write this, teachers in San Francisco Unified School District are on strike for the first time in almost 50 years. Principals and custodians are also striking in solidarity. I looked up salaries to see how bad they were and... they're bad. If you're reading this from outside of the SF Bay Area and thinking "oh, this isn't this bad," please remember that San Francisco is one of the most expensive places to live in the United States. I think it may be number two after Manhattan. The average rent for a TINY studio apartment (400 square feet) in the city is $2,415 per month. The average rent for a three-bedroom apartment is $5,637. A month. (Teachers can't afford to buy property without generational wealth or a spouse who makes good money, so I'm only talking about rent)  So when I tell you that a beginning teacher starts at just over $80,000 a year in SFUSD , Again, that may sound fine in many places. That is, literally, poverty wages in San Francisco. ...