Skip to main content

My Feelings on Guns

 Friday, April 20, 2007

Guns

I hate guns. I hate them.

I know that we have the Second Amendment in this country, and that there are many people who would shoot me for their freedom to carry guns. I don't know the statistics to argue for gun control or tougher background checks. I don't know why the US has such a high percentage of homicides by firearms compared to other developed nations. I just know that I hate them.

With all this talk about the shooting at Virginia Tech, it's been interesting - and disheartening - to hear what the kids have to say. None of them seem shocked. Instead of shock, their reaction seemed to be a deep empathy and sadness. In fact, one little girl told me in the same sentence that she had seen the VT shooting on the news and that her neighbors (other kids at the school) almost got caught in a shooting that injured another student's cousin. (The cousin, who is about 15 years old, was shot in the stomach but is recovering). The girl telling me about it had a resigned look that showed that she was used to these kinds of things.

Now, I'm not in any way trying to minimize the Virginia Tech tragedy. I hate that this kid passed whatever kind of background check there is for gun buying. I hate that school shootings are becoming so common and that no one knows what to do about it. I hate everything about it.

However, I feel like we should also be outraged and shocked about what these kids see every day. Almost every single one of my students has seen someone shot - a neighbor or a relative. This last shooting was described to me by a student as "someone trying to shoot a guy but he jumped out the way and they shot "Joy's" (a fourth grader) cousin instead and they almost got "Juana" (a first grader). And I was scared and I wish bad things didn't happen where I live."

Another student saw her cousin fatally shot - in the face - while she was in my class several years back. It was a gang killing and the killers were never caught. The little girl stayed up all night while everyone around her freaked out; when she came to school the next day, she couldn't stop shaking. There were no resources to help her - that, at least has gotten marginally better. She just kept shaking in the classroom.

There are many more examples - one little girl's dad was shot and killed while she was in my class. Another boy's dad was stabbed to death - again, they came to school the next day. There was just nothing else to do. I've gotten notes that say, "Teacher I'm sorry she didn't do her homework, the gangs was shooting last night and we was hiding in the closet." Or the bathtub - they put the kids in the bathtub or the closet so that bullets have more barriers to get through.

That's not even including all the lockdowns I've been in during my eight years at my school. Have I listed those yet? I can't remember. But no one worries about these kids or these shootings. Why? Because they're poor? Because they're black and Latino? People still argue with me about if Oakland is dangerous or not. I've had people - who live in the hills, where it's nice, white, and affluent - tell me that there aren't bad parts of Oakland, that that's just made up to make the city look bad.

I think we should count what these kids have to see and experience in the same way we'd count it if rich white students coming from educated families had to go through it. I think my kids should count as having the same worth as the others. I don't know why I seem to be in the minority with this view.

Two years ago: Literal vs. Figurative


Four years ago: Guns


Five years ago: Strike is Off!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still