Skip to main content

Oh Dear.

This has nothing to do with school but I found it SO disturbing that I needed to share it.

The Pentagon did a study - a Pentagon study, not an liberal anti-war study - and found out that 40% of Marines and 55% of Army soldiers would report a member of their unit for killing or wounding an innocent civilian. Yuck.

Lest I be accused of not knowing what soldiers go through as they try to help each other, blah blah, this is, in my opinion, the worse part. They also found that "only a third of Marines and roughly half of soldiers said they believed that noncombatants should be treated with dignity." NONCOMBATANTS, people. NOT the people fighting. Only one third of US Marines believe that these human beings who are NOT fighting them should be treated with dignity. (the radio report I heard said it was "treated with dignity or respect.")

We are in big big trouble. There are the people keeping Iraqi civilians safe???

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bronwyn,
I heard the same story on The News Hour driving home this afternoon.
I was disturbed also. I've been thinking about it all day. Incredible.
There was another story on the radio today about soldiers who were caught in an ambush in Bagdad (a while ago) and there were children attacking them as well. And when a soldier was asked how he felt about killing the children he said "It's kill or be killed" I don't know. That disturbed me. Where's the "dying for a good cause"? Now it seems to be only "killiing for a good cause".
Carole
House Dreams said…
Yes, but remember the pressure on those soldiers.The Army has chosen young men who are desperate, needing a job to make a living and a direction in life.

The Army offers them this "security" and then uses brainwashing techniques to turn them into a killing machines.

Soldiers deserve our respect. They were amazing heroes in WWII.
They need our love and prayers! They are under tremendous, frightening, pressure while still developmentally imature.

Popular posts from this blog

Volunteers

I had some of the most overqualified volunteers ever in my third grade class.  This may have had something to do with the fact that I shamelessly begged my friends to help in any way possible.  I think there were a few friends who I asked to come as soon as I met them, before I was entirely sure of their names.  Some of my volunteers included: -Someone with an MFA helping kids read -a PhD candidate in chemical engineering from Stanford helping with math -a PhD candidate in civil engineering from Cal helping with math -several PhD candidates in engineering from Cal teaching about construction (several years in a row) and helping with a field trip -my extremely talented brother bringing his drums several times -a friend from Pixar who got us tours three different years, once when they were no longer giving tours - and came to the class to sign the kids' toys from Cars . -a physical therapist (who I think has a masters') who helped the kids with reading -many athlet...

The Difference a School Makes

Update:   9/28/26: If you are reading this, the spoiler alert is that things got much harder for Jorge after this, and we kept in touch over the decades, even as he’s been incarcerated. He’s getting out of prison in early 2027 and I’m raising money to help him start his life fresh because everyone deserves second chances. Please take a look! Wow. I've talked before about the two kids that a friend and I mentor in a way. I'll call them Jorge (the older one) and Luis (the younger). I had Jorge in my class in third grade and he has had it rough. He's the oldest of six children and was born when his mother was 14. His mom is frequently in rehab or jail, although she seems to have been out for the last couple of years. If she's clean or not is anyone's guess. Jorge helped his grandmother raise Luis. He's always been super over-responsible, stressed out, and had way too many adult responsibilities. About a year ago, Jorge started to crack. He was 13, which isn't f...

Cinderella, retold (and much better)

A seventh-grade student rewrote Cinderella and I think it’s much better! The Dressmakers Once there was a girl named Cinderella whose mother died. Then her father married again, a woman who did not care for Cinderella. She only cared for her own daughters and her husband's fortune. Cinderella’s father made sure they were always fair to Cinderella but two years later,  her father died. Cinderella was left alone with her  stepmother and stepsisters. Cinderella was treated like a house maid but got no money for her work. She had to make the meals, iron the clothes and more. But on some things, like cleaning the windows and floor, Cinderella had to clean them five times per day or according to her stepmother, they will not shine as much as they should.    Cinderella would often cry by a tree by her parents' graves. In that tree lived a little bird who Cinderella would talk with. She would talk to the bird about her stepmother’s many chores and little love for her, a...