Skip to main content

Former Students

Three former students came to visit this week. They all have standardized testing this week also, so they got out of school early.

"Michael" is, as his mother says with some misplaced pride, a lead poisoning baby. Not all there, not too bright, not too well taken care of at home. I don't know what is going to happen to him, but I'm willing to bet he doesn't stay in school much past sixth grade, where he is now.

"Harry," also in sixth grade, is a very intelligent boy with severe learning problems. He can carry on a very high-level conversation, but has serious difficulty reading and writing. Unlike Michael, he is with it enough to understand that he's really behind and it makes him really sad. His mom came through last year when he told her that he wanted to kill himself because he was stupid. She found him a counselor, started taking him to family counseling also, and got him through this. She's been fighting with the district for years to try to get him the special services he needs. He's been written off a lot as being stupid - nothing could be further from the truth. He's almost as tall as I am now, and only twelve years old!

"Shawna" was the most exciting one, because she's about to turn 16, and was one of my first third graders. She moved away shortly after third grade, and I didn't know she had moved back. She's tall, confident, and beautiful in an athletic, always-on-the-move way. She didn't think I would remember her, but she walked in the door and I turned around and took a picture I had of her down from the wall. She just looked at it and said, "That's me? I was really a tomboy!" She's got her own special set of circumstances - her dad is 76, and has about thirty children from various women. No, I'm not exaggerating. THIRTY children. I think the youngest is around four and the oldest passed away a few years ago at fifty-some years old.

Shawna lives with two brothers and her dad, who is very overprotective of her, probably because she's a girl. Her brothers - 13 and 17 years old - are failing school, staying out all night, getting in trouble with the law. Shawna has a 4.0 and has had this for several years. I'm really proud of her because she's not the kind of girl you think of as being on the honor roll - she's intelligent enough, but ready to fight, argue, kick, and scream. I think she still does all that, but obviously she finds some time to study too! I asked her how she was doing so well and she said she wasn't going to be a crackhead like her brothers; she was going to get out of there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still