Skip to main content

Numbers

Number of School Days Left (with kids): 4
Number of School Days Left (for teachers): 5
Number of Total Days Until School's Out: 7

Number of Lockdowns So Far This Year at School: 3
Total Number of Lockdowns Covered by the Media: 0*
Total Number of Lockdowns Effectively Dealt with By Police (in my opinion): 0*

Population of Oakland (2000 Census): 399,484
Total Number of Homicides in Oakland in 2006: 61
Number of Homicides in Oakland in 2005 (at this point in the year): 35
High School Graduation Rate of Oakland Public School Students: 35%

*To be editorialized upon in a future post.

Lockdown today - a little frightening and frustrating, although everything turned out all right.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Have a great summer. And thanks for blogging.

Even though I rarely post, it's very helpful to hear what's going on day-by-day. It's like you're a war correspondent, except of course it's not war, it's teaching and childrearing.

I think that the systemic effects of visibility into the school can end up being incredibly important.

By the way, if you don't know Van Jones at the Ella Baker center, you should meet him. He's a great speaker, he seems to be a great person, and he's also working towards getting away from all the violence and all that. I don't know him personally, just heard him speak. http://www.ellabakercenter.org/page.php?pageid=10

Popular posts from this blog

Volunteers

I had some of the most overqualified volunteers ever in my third grade class.  This may have had something to do with the fact that I shamelessly begged my friends to help in any way possible.  I think there were a few friends who I asked to come as soon as I met them, before I was entirely sure of their names.  Some of my volunteers included: -Someone with an MFA helping kids read -a PhD candidate in chemical engineering from Stanford helping with math -a PhD candidate in civil engineering from Cal helping with math -several PhD candidates in engineering from Cal teaching about construction (several years in a row) and helping with a field trip -my extremely talented brother bringing his drums several times -a friend from Pixar who got us tours three different years, once when they were no longer giving tours - and came to the class to sign the kids' toys from Cars . -a physical therapist (who I think has a masters') who helped the kids with reading -many athlet...

The Difference a School Makes

Update:   9/28/26: If you are reading this, the spoiler alert is that things got much harder for Jorge after this, and we kept in touch over the decades, even as he’s been incarcerated. He’s getting out of prison in early 2027 and I’m raising money to help him start his life fresh because everyone deserves second chances. Please take a look! Wow. I've talked before about the two kids that a friend and I mentor in a way. I'll call them Jorge (the older one) and Luis (the younger). I had Jorge in my class in third grade and he has had it rough. He's the oldest of six children and was born when his mother was 14. His mom is frequently in rehab or jail, although she seems to have been out for the last couple of years. If she's clean or not is anyone's guess. Jorge helped his grandmother raise Luis. He's always been super over-responsible, stressed out, and had way too many adult responsibilities. About a year ago, Jorge started to crack. He was 13, which isn't f...

The Best Mistake

I recently wanted to get a pedicure (I promise this will be important) and was looking at nail salons nearby. I knew there was a place called Kim's Nails near my exercise class, so I quickly googled to see if I could make an appointment online (I hate calling on the phone) and it let me, so I made an appointment for a few days later and went on with my day. Later that day, I got a text confirming my appointment and I realized that I had made the appointment at the wrong Kim's Nails! I meant to make an appointment for the one in my city and I made one at a nail shop in the next city over (Kim's Nails is a common business name). Because I had already made the appointment and they had taken the time to text me, I figured I'd just go with it. OK, if you're still with me, this is where it gets exciting! A few hours after I got the confirmation text, the owner of Kim's Nails texted me again. the text just said, "Are you a teacher?" I didn't know why they...