Skip to main content

Exploratorium, Continued


Actually, this is the after the Exploratorium part...

As it turns out, these kids have never been to the beach, except once with another teacher. So we were planning on taking them to Ocean Beach. I asked if they wanted to build sandcastles, and the older one said, "I don't know how to build a sandcastle." They didn't know how to build a sandcastle! We had to stay there for a while - building sandcastles (is that one word or two?), digging moats, writing their names in the sand, racing with Austin (my brother, who met us there).

After we all finally became exhausted, we drove home. At this point, Warren asked me if they were going to get dinner. They called home and the answer was no, so Warren stopped to buy them dinner. If he hadn't, it would have been a hard call for me because I want to take care of them in the worst way, but I had already spent a lot of money on them that day, and it's hard to know where to draw the line.

I was very grateful - not just for the time and money a friend of mine was willing to spend on kids who he had never met before, but for the bigger picture. I have been so blessed this year by people who have no responsibility for my kids but want to get involved. I'm sure that Warren had other things he could have been doing on a Saturday, but he was totally there with the kids - playing, explaining, and generally making them feel special. He hasn't been the only one this year. I'm going to be writing a lot more (as soon as I have time!) about our wonderful athlete volunteers, about Ameshia my intern who signed on for an extra semester without school credit, Ellen who prays for and volunteers with the kids, sitting with the most difficult one to make a card, my brother and sister who both came to see how this class was and what they were like, Anna who chaperoned a field trip that no parents came to, Kathy who comes in once a week - and her visits are the highlight of the kids weeks! Also all the people who pray for the kids, who write to them (when our Internet connection works), who donate stuff, or even wonder how the kids are doing.

The thing that astounds me about all these people is that none of them have any responsibility for these kids. They are all choosing to be a part of the kids' lives in a direct or indirect way out of the goodness of their hearts and because they value the kids - without even knowing them - and that is a radical difference from what these kids are used to. It makes me believe that there's some hope for these kids still, and that God is showing me - and hopefully them - that he will provide people to care for them, even if it is not the people who are supposed to be doing it. So, if you are any of these people, just know that you are making a difference - absolutely, no doubt in my mind!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your post shows that humankind still has an innate goodness.

Aloha,

Jeff

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still