Skip to main content

Black Names

There is an interesting article in Salon.com about the history of African-American names, and I suggest you read it, especially before making fun of any black people's names. Which many people do. Now, while I have known some interesting names through my time at school (when Special is in special ed, that's just a cruel twist of fate); names that sound suspiciously like "tequila," or that don't follow basic rules of phonics (Samantha being spelled with an "r" in it: Simmorntha or something like that), there have been some really beautiful names too. There is a throwback to some old fashioned names recently: for girls, gems and other precious substances such as Ruby, Jade, Diamond, Pearl, Emerald (and Esmeralda; I knew one class with three Esmeraldas in it. Imagine having to go by "Esmeralda G." because there were three of you!), Ebony, and Ivory. Virtues, such as Patience, Justice, Faith (Imani in Swahili, I think), Hope, and Charity. Precious, not in the Lord of the Rings way, but in the good way. Cherish. For boys, old standards such as Frank and Malcolm. Marquise is a popular one, as is DeVaunte (various spellings). Jamal and Jamar, of course, Lamar and Lamont, and many Tajaes.

Many people make fun of the apostrophes in La'Shay and Ja'Quon and say that black people are trying to sound too French or too African, or just making names up. If you've thought that, here's something else for you to think of. I can find out the name of the French knight that was my ancestor from 1096. Imagine not being able to trace more than 150 years of your family; sometimes less. Can you blame anyone for wanting to recapture their heritage by choosing names that sound like what they imagine their heritage is?

Anyway, when you're around them every day, you see obvious patterns. Not patterns I can explain, but ones I just know. For example, can you pick out the one boys' name among these? Keante, Chianti, Shonte, Javonte, and Leontae? Let me know if you have any guesses.

A funny story: we were doing a practice test (which is why I can talk about it; I can't talk about the REAL test) one year, and the kids had to infer from a diary selection whether Tad, the narrator, was a "brother, sister, father, or mother." I think the writer was assuming that since Tad was talking about a sister, and Tad was a boy's name, the kids would figure out that he was a brother. Well, half of them put sister, because they had never heard the name Tad and didn't know if it belonged to a boy or a girl. "Teacher, what kind of crazy name is this?"

Comments

House Dreams said…
Names only sound funny if they're not names in your neighborhood.

Popular posts from this blog

Volunteers

I had some of the most overqualified volunteers ever in my third grade class.  This may have had something to do with the fact that I shamelessly begged my friends to help in any way possible.  I think there were a few friends who I asked to come as soon as I met them, before I was entirely sure of their names.  Some of my volunteers included: -Someone with an MFA helping kids read -a PhD candidate in chemical engineering from Stanford helping with math -a PhD candidate in civil engineering from Cal helping with math -several PhD candidates in engineering from Cal teaching about construction (several years in a row) and helping with a field trip -my extremely talented brother bringing his drums several times -a friend from Pixar who got us tours three different years, once when they were no longer giving tours - and came to the class to sign the kids' toys from Cars . -a physical therapist (who I think has a masters') who helped the kids with reading -many athlet...

The Best Mistake

I recently wanted to get a pedicure (I promise this will be important) and was looking at nail salons nearby. I knew there was a place called Kim's Nails near my exercise class, so I quickly googled to see if I could make an appointment online (I hate calling on the phone) and it let me, so I made an appointment for a few days later and went on with my day. Later that day, I got a text confirming my appointment and I realized that I had made the appointment at the wrong Kim's Nails! I meant to make an appointment for the one in my city and I made one at a nail shop in the next city over (Kim's Nails is a common business name). Because I had already made the appointment and they had taken the time to text me, I figured I'd just go with it. OK, if you're still with me, this is where it gets exciting! A few hours after I got the confirmation text, the owner of Kim's Nails texted me again. the text just said, "Are you a teacher?" I didn't know why they...

The Endless Cycle of Teacher Strikes

 As I write this, teachers in San Francisco Unified School District are on strike for the first time in almost 50 years. Principals and custodians are also striking in solidarity. I looked up salaries to see how bad they were and... they're bad. If you're reading this from outside of the SF Bay Area and thinking "oh, this isn't this bad," please remember that San Francisco is one of the most expensive places to live in the United States. I think it may be number two after Manhattan. The average rent for a TINY studio apartment (400 square feet) in the city is $2,415 per month. The average rent for a three-bedroom apartment is $5,637. A month. (Teachers can't afford to buy property without generational wealth or a spouse who makes good money, so I'm only talking about rent)  So when I tell you that a beginning teacher starts at just over $80,000 a year in SFUSD , Again, that may sound fine in many places. That is, literally, poverty wages in San Francisco. ...