Skip to main content

Post from Lindsay


Dear B's Readers,

I was very flattered when B asked me to guest blog on her site. As you read this narrative, I ask that you keep in mind that there are three sides to every story, and this is my side. If you want benefit of the doubt, best intentions or any of that hooey, go read something else.

She fired me without ever having seen me teach.

I was hired by aforementioned Principal Three. I had exactly six weeks of teacher education, in an intensive summer program, and I hadn't actually been in a fifth grade classroom since I was ten years old. In an attempt to make my first teaching job possible, he gave me a reduced class size (20 instead of 35), and allowed me to partner with a colleague from my credential program who also had a reduced class size.

I had a supervisor from my credential program who made weekly visits and evaluations of my progress. I taught full-time and spent nine hours every Saturday learning how to be an effective teacher in an urban setting. (As an aside, I think my internship/credentialing program was one of the very best in the state. Overwhelming and stressful, yet also terribly relevant and supportive.) And I had B there, right across the playground, offering teacher materials, discipline support and countless other helpful things first year teachers don't even know that they need. My point is, I was well-supported by people who could teach me how to be effective.

Principal Four started at our school in January, when we returned from the winter break. Two weeks later, she filed with the district to have me removed from my position.

Of course, I wouldn't hear anything about it until I got my first piece of registered mail, when I arrived home from work on March 15th.

To be clear, I have no memory of significant events that may have justified her decision to fire me. No disciplinary action was ever taken or discussed. I never received a stern warning, a friendly reminder, or any feedback on my teaching, aside from a very positive evaluation from the Vice Principal (Principal Two).

Principal Four is Evil Reason #1: When I asked why I had been fired, she flat-out lied to my face and said that it didn't come from her, but the district. After weeks of unreturned phone calls to the district, they confirmed that my release had originated with the principal.

Teachers Unions are Evil Reason #1: The union was unable to offer any protection, as first and second year teachers have absolutely no job protection whatsoever. Even a McDonald's employee can file a wrongful termination suit. In exchange for life-time job security for anyone who makes it past year 2, new teachers have less job security than a subway musician--as long as they show up, they have a job.

After two months of requesting justification for my release, I sat down for a meeting with Principal Four. Among the reasons she sited were the fact that I had used 7 of my ten allotted sick days. Frankly, I don't think I should have to defend myself for taking sick days that were allocated to me, but I'll do it anyway. In your first year of teaching, your immune system isn't is strong as it will become. In your first year of your credential, there are vast amounts of reading and research projects to write. In my first year of teaching, my boyfriend's mom was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer. And I had taken seven days off. Only 70% of what I was allowed to take. Hm.

Another reason that Principal Four gave for my release is that I provided a video for my students to watch while there was a substitute teacher. While I recognize the importance of maximizing instructional time...

Principal Four is Evil Reason #2: ...the next day the entire staff received a memo suggesting strategies for keeping students engaged as we approached the end of the school yeay, and guess what was on the list. Yes! Watching movies! What a phenomenal guess!!

By the end of the school year, I had interviewed and received a job offer at another school in the district. Unfortunately, I was unable to accept the offer. The union's phenomenal negotiating resulted in the district compromising by accepting my resignation, rather than pin me with the non-re-elect status for the rest of my career.

Principal Four is Evil Reason #3: You've already heard the tortilla stand story, so I'll add this observation to the mix. The three individuals (including myself) who she fired from our school were the only teachers at that time with the following two things in common: we were white and we were not tenured.

Plus, she fired me without ever having seen me teach.

You do the math.

Epilogue: My next job was in an equally dysfunctional district, but with a far more functional school culture and management. I learned a ton, grew as a teacher, and was betrayed by the system there as well. It only took one more year of teaching (this one in San Diego) before I quit. Maybe I'll go back, maybe I won't.

Though I don't post there anymore, you can read all about my teaching adventures, opinions, and political analysis at http://www.insideteaching.com.

My regular (if you could call it that) blog is at http://lindsaydayton.blogspot.com/

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, makes you think about becoming a teacher in oakland. They sound ruthless.
Thanks for sharing, Lindsay.

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still