Skip to main content

Beware the Ides of March

Many California teachers are aware of a phenomenon known as the "March 15th letters." According to the California ed code, a probationary teacher will become a permanent employee after two years, unless they are informed that they are no longer needed in the district by a non-reelect letter. I don't know all the exact details, but new teachers - in a district like mine - are often increasingly nervous as the Ides of March draw near, wondering if they will get a letter or have a job guaranteed for the following year.

That is, if the teachers are informed. A good administrator would tell the employee as the year goes on that the employee had things to work on, and point out exactly what they were. Then this hypothetical good administrator would give the employee multiple chances to make changes, provide feedback along the way, and inform the employee (if need be) why exactly the employee's services were no longer required by the school or district.

That is not exactly how things work in my district. Historically, the new teachers are surprised on March 15th by a certified letter saying that their services are no longer needed by the district. They usually don't know what these letters are, why they got one, or what their legal recourse is (none). The union is of little or no help and many many good teachers have left Oakland because - although this district usually changes its collective mind and rescinds some of the letters - nobody really feels like working for them after this experience.

My principal got one of these letter when he was a teacher. It was mainly because the principal at that time was out to get him, but you'd think he'd remember how it feels and try to do things differently. But you'd be wrong.

Three of my colleagues got these letters this year. Two have extremely difficult classes and have not received a lot of support. Of these, one would be a great teacher in a different area of Oakland, and I don't know why she didn't just get a transfer. One is a great teacher and has my evaluator (who probably would have gotten rid of me too if I wasn't tenured). She's gotten the same kind of comments as I have from said evaluator. The last has never gotten a bad evaluation, and while I don't know much about her teaching, you'd think that someone without a bad evaluation would be worth keeping.

Someone pointed out that there is one teacher per evaluator - maybe they were each told to get rid of one. I don't know why this would be though, because Oakland never has enough teachers. Maybe they figured that if they each fired one person, no one administrator would be singled out as being unfair. I don't know.

I have worked with people in my district who have gotten the "March 15th letter" on March 16. It's always baffled me that, when the CA ed code says the letters have to be received on March 15, the district doesn't send them out on March 1 or something to give themselves time. No, our district always seems to make a game out of it. I don't know anyone who has received one before March 15. It's like a little bit of excitement thrown in - Oakland roulette maybe?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Volunteers

I had some of the most overqualified volunteers ever in my third grade class.  This may have had something to do with the fact that I shamelessly begged my friends to help in any way possible.  I think there were a few friends who I asked to come as soon as I met them, before I was entirely sure of their names.  Some of my volunteers included: -Someone with an MFA helping kids read -a PhD candidate in chemical engineering from Stanford helping with math -a PhD candidate in civil engineering from Cal helping with math -several PhD candidates in engineering from Cal teaching about construction (several years in a row) and helping with a field trip -my extremely talented brother bringing his drums several times -a friend from Pixar who got us tours three different years, once when they were no longer giving tours - and came to the class to sign the kids' toys from Cars . -a physical therapist (who I think has a masters') who helped the kids with reading -many athlet...

The Difference a School Makes

Update:   9/28/26: If you are reading this, the spoiler alert is that things got much harder for Jorge after this, and we kept in touch over the decades, even as he’s been incarcerated. He’s getting out of prison in early 2027 and I’m raising money to help him start his life fresh because everyone deserves second chances. Please take a look! Wow. I've talked before about the two kids that a friend and I mentor in a way. I'll call them Jorge (the older one) and Luis (the younger). I had Jorge in my class in third grade and he has had it rough. He's the oldest of six children and was born when his mother was 14. His mom is frequently in rehab or jail, although she seems to have been out for the last couple of years. If she's clean or not is anyone's guess. Jorge helped his grandmother raise Luis. He's always been super over-responsible, stressed out, and had way too many adult responsibilities. About a year ago, Jorge started to crack. He was 13, which isn't f...

Cinderella, retold (and much better)

A seventh-grade student rewrote Cinderella and I think it’s much better! The Dressmakers Once there was a girl named Cinderella whose mother died. Then her father married again, a woman who did not care for Cinderella. She only cared for her own daughters and her husband's fortune. Cinderella’s father made sure they were always fair to Cinderella but two years later,  her father died. Cinderella was left alone with her  stepmother and stepsisters. Cinderella was treated like a house maid but got no money for her work. She had to make the meals, iron the clothes and more. But on some things, like cleaning the windows and floor, Cinderella had to clean them five times per day or according to her stepmother, they will not shine as much as they should.    Cinderella would often cry by a tree by her parents' graves. In that tree lived a little bird who Cinderella would talk with. She would talk to the bird about her stepmother’s many chores and little love for her, a...