Skip to main content

Evaluations


My evaluation came about a month ago but I've been so irritated by it that I haven't gotten around to writing about it. We're evaluated on a scale of 1-4, with 3 being acceptable, 4 being outstanding, 2 unacceptable but developing, and 1 being unacceptable. Now, I wasn't expecting to get all 4s or anything like that, but I also wasn't expecting what I got.

There are definitely parts of my teaching that I can improve. My classroom's a mess, to begin with, and I'm sometimes just way too tired to do everything I should do. But I absolutely should not have been marked down on what I was. Two areas: assessment and parent contact.

Let's take assessment first. She has observed me once for one hour. One. Hour. On the basis of this, she says that my assessment is not up to standards. Not only do I give all required assessments and use the scores to drive instruction, but if you name any one of my students, I can tell you what they're good at, what they struggle with, usually the scores they got on their last tests, how often they turn in their homework, if their parents are supportive, what they want to be when they grow up... What else does she want me to do?

Oh wait, I did do more. I have had each student , right before report cards every trimester, look through their work, assess themselves, and decide on goals, both short-term and long-term, that they have for themselves. I had a meeting with each student to talk about their improvement or lack of improvement and how they can meet their goals. But I don't perform assessments up to her standards.

Even more ludicrous is the mark I got on parental contact. Not only have I done all the required parent conferences, but every parent in the class has my cell phone number, some of them on speed dial. They come back and visit me, they bring me copies of my former students' report cards, videotapes of their children's graduations, and presents. They come in and talk to me about their kids, their personal lives, their family history, their work. They tell me that I'm the only teacher who's ever come to their child's sports games. Some of the kids get phone calls home every day, good or bad. They even come to talk to me about my evaluator and how unapproachable they feel this woman is. But I'm the one who gets an "unacceptable" in parent contact.

I've got to write my rebuttal for the evaluation this weekend to get turned in to HR and put in my file next to the evaluation. It probably won't hurt me at all because I'm tenured and I"ve lasted at the school for 8 years. However, her other evaluatees are new, but excellent, teachers and they can be hurt by the evaluations. Our current theory is that since she's a new administrator, she's trying to gain authority by having highly unrealistic standards. It's certainly not working though. The last thing she's getting around here is authority.

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm sorry you received such a patently absurd review.

Just out of curiosity, are teachers able to evaluate the administration? Do you evaluate each other (peer review)?
Unknown said…
Did you ever see the WKRP in Cincinnati episode where Mother Carlson sent in a consultant to evaluate the station and each person there adopted a new persona that was the opposite of their actual one, rendering the final report to obviously wrong that she had to dismiss its findings? This wouldn't apply here; it's just a good episode!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WKRP_in_Cincinnati_episodes#.22The_Consultant.22

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still