Skip to main content

Just When I Miss the Classroom...

... I remember things like this.

Monday, February 19, 2007


My evaluator is afraid of the gecko.

I realize that this shouldn't bring me pleasure, but it does. (Especially because his teeth are probably the size of an ant's brain. They're teensy.) Jesus wouldn't feel happy and superior because His evaluator was afraid of the gecko. But I do.

It's not entirely fair to take out all my frustration on my evaluator. Some of it is actually just way too many years (sad when 8 years is way too many) in the district, which is entrenched in negativity, dysfunction, failure, and hopelessness. Does that sound dramatic? Probably. But I think it's true. (Lindsay, you were there, what do you think?)

But she is doing her part to earn my defensiveness and ire. Apart from the things I have already talked about, with my not-so-good evaluation and such... last week she was trying to schedule
an observation with me. Note that word, schedule. Because it is a SCHEDULED formal observation. I'm supposed to turn in a lesson plan for the lesson that she is going to observe, we discuss it, she comes to observe me, and then she tells me again that I have no student work up and the kids are not calm enough or something like that.

We exchanged three or four emails about the date of my observation, with me asking for the time as well. This is because she wants a lesson plan, and, like all teachers, I teach different things at different times of the day. In fact, I am required to teach different subjects at different times of the day.

She says we'll discuss the time when I give her the lesson plan.

I point out that I can't give her the lesson plan until I know what lesson she wants to see.

She says this is what we discuss when I give her the lesson plan... you see the pattern here.

In addition to the complete and utter lack of logic, we have a minor problem scheduling the time for me to hand her the lesson plan (I've decided to take the strategy of making a really lousy lesson plan so that I'm not wasting my time - it took me about 2 minutes). She tells me that all my suggestions for meeting times don't work for her, and can I meet her at 3:00 on Friday in her office. OK, fine. Guess who's NOT in her office at 3:00 on Friday! It's shut and locked.

I went down to the main office to look for her and a few other teachers were standing around and told me that she had left 10 minutes before. I emailed her right away and haven't yet heard from her. No idea if I'm getting observed tomorrow, or on what, but it would be JUST like my district for me to get observed and be "marked down" for not turning in a lesson plan.

In the meantime, to try and preserve a tiny bit of sanity, I am trying to remember that I love the kids and that I have sick days to use up this year so I don't die, and I'm hoping and praying that people keep reading this and find out what kind of craziness is going on in the public schools. At least in this particular district.

One year ago: Contract

Three years ago: A Dubious Slogan

Four  years ago: Construction
                         The Gecko is Growing Up

Five years ago: Praise the Lord, a Kid Got Helped!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still