Skip to main content

The Best Mistake

I recently wanted to get a pedicure (I promise this will be important) and was looking at nail salons nearby. I knew there was a place called Kim's Nails near my exercise class, so I quickly googled to see if I could make an appointment online (I hate calling on the phone) and it let me, so I made an appointment for a few days later and went on with my day. Later that day, I got a text confirming my appointment and I realized that I had made the appointment at the wrong Kim's Nails! I meant to make an appointment for the one in my city and I made one at a nail shop in the next city over (Kim's Nails is a common business name). Because I had already made the appointment and they had taken the time to text me, I figured I'd just go with it.

OK, if you're still with me, this is where it gets exciting!

A few hours after I got the confirmation text, the owner of Kim's Nails texted me again. the text just said, "Are you a teacher?" I didn't know why they were asking, but I said yes. The next message asked me if I knew DL [those are his initials, she obviously said his name] and then said, "He is my brother and said you were his first grade teacher!"

It turns out that DL was helping his sister, the owner of my mistaken nail shop, work on her scheduling software, and saw my name, which is, well, distinctive. I answered that YES I was his teacher (first and third grade both) and to please pass along my phone number! I went to the pedicure and DL came to meet me and we talked for well over an hour catching up. He is still the awesome person I knew as a 6-year-old and an 8-year-old, just grown up. 

This is the best scheduling mistake I've ever made!

DL had a friend, KL, who was in the same first grade class. They were best friends, had the same last name, told me they were cousins, and were always going to each other's houses. We got to briefly reconnect in 2016 at my book launch, when I found out that they weren't cousins and they thought it was hilarious that I believed them (I had no reason not to!). In 2016 I think they were both in college but we didn't get to talk much and lost touch again.

So I asked DL if he was still in touch with KL and he said that yes, they're still very close and that he's actually the godfather of KL's son. We all got on a text thread and KL sent me a picture of his son. If I hadn't known better, I would have said it was him from our first-grade year, the child looks so much like his father!

The three of us had lunch last month and caught up more and it was amazing. When you're a teacher, you never know if you're going to find out how your "kids" are going to turn out. It's not often you get to see those students, those little kids, all grown up. I couldn't be happier with the adults they turned out to be. I loved hearing what they were up to, who and what mattered to them, and what their hopes are for the future.

They're not "my kids" anymore; none of them are. They're my peers, and that's even better in some ways. I hope to spend more time with these guys and others (more blogs coming soon about some other reunions!) if it's not too strange for them to hang out with their elementary school teacher.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,
Your blog is heartwarming. You are a role model for how I wish all teachers would be. These young children, from shaky childhoods not of their making, were fortunate to be in your class. You cared about them, and they knew it. That’s why Fred was successful in your classroom. That’s why your former students want to hang out with you. You have nurtured many, and are much loved, and thought of fondly by your former students. If only all teachers cared the way you do. It would have a positive impact on our society. Bless you for being you!

Popular posts from this blog

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still

The Difference a Book Can Make

  Seven years ago, I was working at Harbor House, a subsidized after-school program, in Oakland, and we had the chance to have a children's author, Mac Barnett, come visit the kids. I emailed his assistant and asked her if he could visit both groups of kids: the K-2nd grade and the 3rd-5th graders. She wrote back and said he was only prepared to visit the younger kids (I think that was his policy at the time).  Well, a kid who I'll call "Adam" in 5th grade, had found out that Mac Barnett was coming and in preparation, had read a chapter book Mac had written ( The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity ; check it out but preferably from your local bookstore). This was big news because it was the first chapter book Adam had read. In his entire life. So I told him to write a letter to Mac and I would scan it and email it, asking for an exception because he was such a big fan. I told him to ask if he could sit in the back very quietly as a helper, and told him to put a few