Skip to main content

An Great Opportunity! (Want to Help?)

Two or three of the fifth graders are going to the People to People World Leadership Forum for middle schoolers next spring in DC. This is a great opportunity – just even to go to DC, let alone be part of an international leadership conference. Each child has to raise something like $3000 by July. If you want to help, you’d be supporting some really incredible kids who don’t generally have an opportunity to get out of this neighborhood.

I told all the kids going to write something out so I could help them ask for support. Stephanie’s the only one who’s done it so far, so please consider supporting her – even just a little! Email me if you’d be interested and we’ll figure out who to write the check to. I’ll write a little more about Stephanie later. She’s pretty awesome.

Here’s the text of her letter in case you can’t read it when I finally post the photo:

May 16, 2006

To Whom It May Concern:

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Stephanie and I am a 5th grade student. I have been picked out of thousands of kids to go to a People to People World Leadership Forum in Washington D.C. There will be other kids from around the world who will be there too.

I am asking for your financial support to help me attend this Forum as it would be quite helpful. This will be a good experience for me as I will get to meet new people and make new friends. I will also learn a lot of things that I never knew.

I will be the first in my family to go to this. I will have something else great to add to my scrapbook that I will never forget. I am proud to have been selected as are my parents and the other members of my family.

I thank you in advance for any donation that you are able to give and if you cannot make a contribution, I thank you for reading this letter.

Yours truly,

Stephanie


Her dad (Dark Angel) came in today to see if I can go to her 5th grade graduation (I’d have to get a sub), and all the kids asked for his autograph. He signed an autograph for each kid, very patiently. Then a very unusual thing happened. A child put someone else before himself. Raymond came back late from something and didn’t get an autograph, so Jowan actually gave his up so Raymond wouldn’t be upset. This never happens. I was shocked.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I want to make a donation to help Stephanie go to DC, but when I click on the "My Registry at DonorsChoose" link this project is not listed.

Please advise.

PS Does your class have a computer and access to the internet?
Bronwyn said…
It's not on DonorsChoose because it's only one child. You can send a check made out to "People To People" to me at: Bronwyn Harris, 2033 Eagle Ave., Alameda, CA 94501 or if you email me at: bronwyn.ann@gmail.com, her dad's given me permission to give out her address for this. If you don't know me, I realize it might sound like an internet scam, but I don't know of any way to do it online. :(

My class has some very old computers and usually access to the internet but at the moment, all internet connections are down. I'm goping to post about that tomorrow because it's a little on the ridiculous side.
Anonymous said…
How is she doing?
Angie said…
My daughter was nominated by her 5th grade teacher to go to the Forum in DC this Spring (teacher verifies this) and I was just doing some internet checking and stumbled across your blog. Did you or the kids end up going? If so, how was the experience?
Bronwyn said…
She did go, and loved it. I'd recommend it highly!

Popular posts from this blog

Volunteers

I had some of the most overqualified volunteers ever in my third grade class.  This may have had something to do with the fact that I shamelessly begged my friends to help in any way possible.  I think there were a few friends who I asked to come as soon as I met them, before I was entirely sure of their names.  Some of my volunteers included: -Someone with an MFA helping kids read -a PhD candidate in chemical engineering from Stanford helping with math -a PhD candidate in civil engineering from Cal helping with math -several PhD candidates in engineering from Cal teaching about construction (several years in a row) and helping with a field trip -my extremely talented brother bringing his drums several times -a friend from Pixar who got us tours three different years, once when they were no longer giving tours - and came to the class to sign the kids' toys from Cars . -a physical therapist (who I think has a masters') who helped the kids with reading -many athlet...

The Difference a School Makes

Update:   9/28/26: If you are reading this, the spoiler alert is that things got much harder for Jorge after this, and we kept in touch over the decades, even as he’s been incarcerated. He’s getting out of prison in early 2027 and I’m raising money to help him start his life fresh because everyone deserves second chances. Please take a look! Wow. I've talked before about the two kids that a friend and I mentor in a way. I'll call them Jorge (the older one) and Luis (the younger). I had Jorge in my class in third grade and he has had it rough. He's the oldest of six children and was born when his mother was 14. His mom is frequently in rehab or jail, although she seems to have been out for the last couple of years. If she's clean or not is anyone's guess. Jorge helped his grandmother raise Luis. He's always been super over-responsible, stressed out, and had way too many adult responsibilities. About a year ago, Jorge started to crack. He was 13, which isn't f...

The Endless Cycle of Teacher Strikes

 As I write this, teachers in San Francisco Unified School District are on strike for the first time in almost 50 years. Principals and custodians are also striking in solidarity. I looked up salaries to see how bad they were and... they're bad. If you're reading this from outside of the SF Bay Area and thinking "oh, this isn't this bad," please remember that San Francisco is one of the most expensive places to live in the United States. I think it may be number two after Manhattan. The average rent for a TINY studio apartment (400 square feet) in the city is $2,415 per month. The average rent for a three-bedroom apartment is $5,637. A month. (Teachers can't afford to buy property without generational wealth or a spouse who makes good money, so I'm only talking about rent)  So when I tell you that a beginning teacher starts at just over $80,000 a year in SFUSD , Again, that may sound fine in many places. That is, literally, poverty wages in San Francisco. ...