Skip to main content

Who Puts These People In Charge of Money?


I got paid today. I'm not complaining about getting paid, let me make that clear. But it is rather odd.

The schedule of payment for salaried employees (like teachers) is that we get paid on the last weekday of each month. Since I have 12-month deferred payment (as opposed to only getting paid Sept-June, they divide my yearly salary into 12 months), I will be getting paid on Tuesday, July 31. That's very straightforward.

The mid-month payments are a little more complicated. If we work extra hours (extra recognized hours that is - we all work extra hours), for example, in an after-school program, or an extra mandatory meeting or an extra training day, we get paid some mysterious hourly rate, turn in extra time sheets, and get paid on the 15th of the month.

So, why did I get a payment today, July 10?

Luckily, each pay stub comes with codes. They used to print the codes' meanings but have stopped that for some time now, so they must be self-evident. (Or so one would think if the meanings are no longer given).

The total is $1,080.55. Which is quite a lot for an unexpected paycheck. The before-taxes total is $1,212.10. The codes.... here they are.

6/30 OSTP 2.00 Rate: 600.00 Earnings: 1,200.00
4/26 SBCV 1.00 Rate: 12.10 Earnings 12.10

Obviously!

Wait a minute...

OK, 4/26, SBCV might mean sub coverage. I have no idea if I covered for someone on April 26, but chances are good. However, usually sub coverage is paid per child - you get $5 or $6 per child for the day (not worth it). So an amount like $30 would make sense. A unit of 1.00 and a rate of $12.10 makes no sense at all. It's not hourly. It's not per child. And for all I know, SBCV means Super Big Cotton Vests. Also, why am I being paid on July 10 for something that happened on April 26?

OK, let's move on. OSTP. I don't even have a good guess for that one. Osteopath? Osteoporosis? Organic Sirloin T-Bone Purchase? Omnipresent Suffering, Torture, and Pain? Two of them happened - whether that means two hours, or two days is anyone's guess. Come to think of it, if it's $600 per unit, it can't be hours or days. But that's all anything is measured by for time sheets. It's not two weeks, that would show up as 10 days. What could they possibly be paying me $600 per something for?

So, you see that I am confused. And that I don't trust payroll as far as I can throw them. Remember, our district was approximately $80 million in the hole a few years back. And that was because they couldn't find the money. They switched financial software and "lost" $80 million.

You might ask why I'm so confused? Why don't I just take the money and run? This is the thing with my district. I could totally see them taking this money back at some point. Or not paying me my regular salary this month or next (the last two months I get a salary) because they said I already got it - because somehow SBCV OSTP means "regular monthly salary."

There is, in fact, something that I'm supposed to get extra money for, which will be my next post, but it's supposed to come as $400 on July 15 and $600 on July 31. This crazy acronym paycheck just makes me nervous.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What about "oakland student teacher pay?"
did you ever mentor anyone?
Yeah, I wouldn't cash it if I were you. My husband was given full benefits for working parttime and then BUSD noticed it and started docking his paycheck, lots of money.
carole
How's your summer going?
House Dreams said…
I couldn't understand the extra paycheck either!
The district used to have a list to decode the codes.

What, they've cut ink expenditures?

P.S.
10 days left until that day that shall remain unnamed!
Not counting weekends, the day of, and today!
Not counting HP opening.
:-}
House Dreams said…
I couldn't understand the extra paycheck either!
The district used to have a list to decode the codes.

What, they've cut ink expenditures?

P.S.
10 days left until that day that shall remain unnamed!
Not counting weekends, the day of, and today!
Not counting HP opening.
:-}
Hello Bronwyn,

I did a quick GOOGLE search (I know, occupational habit) and found an interesting OSTP connection. A school system in Oklahoma City mentioned the acronym OSTP, short for Oklahoma School Testing Program.

I'm wondering if Oakland had a similar testing program near the end of the school year, like a NCLB arrangement, and you may have been eligible for additional federal money. It could be some kind of incentive pay for good results, paid through a federal grant, not the local system. Just a thought.
Bronwyn said…
Not a bad thought, Michael, but the test results don't come out until August, so it's too early to be anything like that. However, that does make more sense than anything I can come up with!
Anonymous said…
Outstanding Super Teacher Pay. You get 2 because the evaluator was shall we say EUI and thought there were two of you in the classroom. And Superior Beyond Common Valor. Why it's only $12.10 I don't know.

I know the above are unlikely, but hey, you never know.

t.

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still