Skip to main content

More Old Faces

Another former student came to visit today. He now goes to another school, and is in fifth grade. We'll call him "David." David is definitely gifted, but LAZY. But two years ago, when he was in my class, I figured him out. One thing I noticed is that he hated to write in pencil, but would always writing in pen. (Generally, third graders aren't supposed to write in pen because they have to erase a lot.) It turned out that he just hated how pencils felt when you wrote with them. Once I started letting him use pencil - with the caveat that subs and next year's teacher probably wouldn't be quite as accommodating - he stopped complaining about writing.

Another thing about David is that he was very picky about what he read and wrote about. He hated the reading program and would just sit there, not reading, not writing, nothing. It didn't matter what I said, how much trouble he got in; nothing changed. However, if the subject had anything to do with science - particularly inventions and animals (especially dangerous/poisonous ones), he was quickly the most interested child in the room.

He was also really good with computers, and other gadgets. We had these Leapfrog electronic educational toys in the classroom (typical of my school; spend tons of money on them, use them for one year, and now they're all in cabinets because no one wants to deal with them). The kids were constantly having problems with them and David spent so much time fixing them that I just started calling him "Tech Support." He liked that - once I explained to him what tech support was.

David also had one of the most out of control tempers I have ever seen. Most of the time - the vast majority of the time - he was a shy, really soft-spoken child. It was hard to get him to raise his voice enough to be heard. But if anyone picked a fight with him - especially if they mentioned his mother- he would turn into someone completely different. I don't think he had any control over himself when this happened. People would try to reason with him, but I think he was just as confused as we were.

Fortunately, I think David's story will turn out better than a lot of other kids'. His mother is aware, and willing to take advantage of counseling. She is also willing to do extra things like take him to the Exploratorium in San Francisco, which is probably his version of heaven.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We have an explosive student. There is no rhyme or reason for the tantrums. All we can do is remain calm...not taking it personally.

When the student is calm, she is smart and generous. When she's grumpy she scowls and refuses to do work. When she explodes she is vicious. She gets scared. Sometimes sitting with her and trying to distract her helps, sometimes not.

Sometimes we have to call the office for help! The biggest blessing is that her parents understand and support us and her!

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still