Skip to main content

History For Children

I've been thinking lately about children's Bible stories. Does it seem strange to anyone else that we take stories - which often have a lot of grief and scandal - and make them into puppet shows for children? Noah's ark for example - happy smiley pairs of animals with happy smiley bearded Noah. Oh, except it was an attempt to wipe out human evil and start over - almost exterminating the human race. That wouldn't fit very well in a puppet show though, so it's a good thing God promised not to do it again. Lots of death in the parting of the Red Sea, not usually shown in the kids' books. Christmas pageants don't usually talk about Herod slaughtering all the infants of a certain age and ethnicity to try to avoid Jesus being born.

I'm not saying that children should face all these difficult issues at a young age - just that I object to stories being dumbed down, or sort of cartooned down. Bible stories were important for me as a little kid but there's something about just skipping over the unpleasant parts that I think does kids a disservice. They are more complex than we think. (Both the kids and the stories)

There are parts of history taught in school that lend themselves to the same type of selective teaching. Often slavery and the Civil Rights movement is taught just by singing the praises of Harriet Tubman, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks. But we don't take time to see if children understand what these people were fighting against. They know that there was slavery, and there were some bad laws, but - without creating despair in kids - isn't there a way to appropriately go deeper into why those situations were so bad and why we admire these people?

The catalyst to this train of thought was this worksheet I found for Black History Month. It's not special - I've seen many like it - but this time when I was looking at it, I just couldn't quite believe it. Help the runaway slave find the safe house in the maze?? The Underground Railroad isn't about doing mazes and worksheets! The kids need to begin to think about how frightening it would be to be a slave choosing to escape and depend on the help of strangers. Or to consider if they really would have helped out as a white person when it was so much easier and safer to look the other way. I don't really think we can appreciate historical heroes without understanding a little of how much courage it took to stand up to injustice.

I haven't fully thought this out, and it's one in the morning, so I don't know if I'm making much sense. I guess, given the kids I work with, I want them to understand how much people sacrificed for them. I want Black History Month to be more powerful - and to be all year long - which I think won't happen if they don't know more about the legacy of unbelievably brave people standing up to unacceptable situations. I want them to be proud of their history, and I don't think runaway slave mazes are going to do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still