Skip to main content

Playground Equipment


Playground equipment is something that many of us who went to school in more affluent areas (or during more affluent times) take for granted.  We assume that big red four-square balls and jump ropes are found at every elementary school in America, since that was part of our childhood.  Some of us were really lucky and had “earth” balls and parachutes to play with; those are actually some of my best PE memories. 
 The reality, nowadays, is that playground equipment is much less available.  Some years I got a playground ball at the beginning of the year in my classroom supplies, and some years I didn’t.  It was never blown up though, and I was never given a ball pump so I usually bought or borrowed one.  Sometimes there was one teacher in the school with a ball pump and everyone knew it so kids were constantly bringing in balls to be pumped up.  Of course, they’d try to do it themselves and would end up bending or losing the needles so I was not only constantly buying pumps but also needles. 
Most of the playground equipment was bought by teachers.  Because this was true, the equipment was WELL marked.  A regular kickball might have “Ms. Smith” written on it 5 times and “Room 10” another 4 or five times.  You never let those words fade because then some other class would have a ball while your kids would have nothing to do at recess again.  (And every teacher know that down time equals fighting).Jump ropes were a little harder, but you could fit the name and room number on the handle.
Of course, balls would end up on the roof or popped and jump ropes would mysteriously disappear.  Some teachers designate equipment monitors who are the only ones who can bring out and bring in the equipment.  This brings the equipment back but often leads to “You can’t touch the ball, you’re not the MONITOR!” kinds of fights.  Some teachers say that if you bring the ball out you have to bring it back in but kids forget that.  You’d think that in a 10-minute recess, they could remember that they brought the ball out, but they lose interest really quickly and sometimes the ball just falls out of their hand as they walk away. 
Sport for Kids, now called Playworks, is a program that started in my last few years at school.  It has a coach who provides equipment – and organized sports and games – for all the kids during recess and I think maybe during PE.  The kids have to turn in the equipment when the bell rings and since it’s on the playground, it’s more central and easier to get everything back.  And the coaches (usually there’s one and then they train some upper graders to be “junior coaches”) know how to run games and are on duty at recess and lunch, unlike the teachers.
In addition, I really can’t emphasize enough how organized games change the dynamic of recess.  My first few years, we had nothing.  The yard looked much like a prison yard, except maybe with fewer basketball hoops.  The kids’ favorite thing to do at recess was to fight and complain that they were bored.  A few years into my time there, we got a grant for landscaping and we got a play structure, some grass, and a bunch of stuff painted onto the blacktop: a map of the US, a little river, all sorts of things.  Also some trees that are finally growing up. 
The kids were so starved for fun things to do that the first year we had the grass, their favorite activity was just rolling on it.  It was a very little slope and they would just roll down the little tiny hill, get up, run to the top, and roll down again.  Over and over again.  

Two years ago: Grieving
Four years ago: Job Security 
                               The Stories Go On




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still