Saturday, March 22, 2008
Someone told me once that portable classrooms contain formaldehyde in the walls. I just read an article about formaldehyde being found in particleboard, medium-density fiberboard, and plywood. The article cites formaldehyde as being the cause of not only cancer, but respiratory allergies, asthma, coughing, wheezing, and chest tightness.
Now, I realize that I am only a sample size of one, but I taught in a portable classroom for 5 or 6 years, and during those years, thought I had really bad asthma. I was sick a lot, I got bronchitis every year, which turned into at least a month of illness-induced asthma, complete with trips to the emergency room.
After I left the portable classroom, I have not had any of these symptoms. No coughing, no wheezing, no asthma.