Skip to main content

Inequality

When I was working in the inner city, I noticed that the kids were rarely unaware that they had less than other kids.  When we went on field trips, they would ask me, "Is this where the rich people live?  These house look like rich people houses."  They would often point out that white people in the grocery stores buy more food than their family was able to, and that other people didn't have to live where there was shooting most nights.

As I've been doing private tutoring, I have obviously been working with many students whose families are much better off financially than my former students' families. One of the interesting things to me is that many of them are not aware how fortunate they are.  At one point, a student who goes to a prestigious private elementary school asked me if I tutored any of my former students.  When I said no, she asked me why.  I simply said that most of them couldn't afford tutoring - didn't explain further.  She looked at me for a minute or so and said, tearing up, "That is so sad."  She wasn't being sarcastic or petty; she was serious.  She had no idea that some of these kids didn't have enough food - not being able to have a tutor was enough for her to get visibly sad.

Another student who goes to a very good middle school in a fairly wealthy area asked me why so many people eat at McDonald's.  Her family is big on whole grains, vegetables, and homemade soups.  She likes to really understand things, so we talked about how fast food is easy and fast and somewhat addictive.  She kept saying that she still thinks it's gross and that people shouldn't feed fast food to children.  I told her that I agreed but then tried to explain the concept of a food desert, and how some people don't have cars to get to grocery stores, don't have grocery stores in their neighborhoods, and don't have enough money to buy food, so the dollar menu might end up looking pretty attractive.  She's a smart girl and she got it.  She had never realized this before and asked me a few times if I was sure there were neighborhoods without grocery stores.  I described the neighborhood where I had taught and told her that a lot of the families were only able to shop at liquor stores.  She took it all in and said, "I wish there was a way we could get good food to them."  Amen, sister.

The last conversation I've had about this subject was this week, with another private school student.  She was looking through the photos on my phone and commenting on my dog and my niece and how cute they are.  She happened upon a photo of me with my Little Sister and asked who she was.  She was confused because my Little Sister is black so "she isn't related to you, right?"  I didn't explain that families can be interracial (thought of that later), but told her she was a girl I volunteer with.  She asked me why and what did I mean and I sort of explained the Big Brothers Big Sisters program.  I was not prepared to explain as much as I did, but she kept asking me more.  Why did the kids need people to volunteer with them?  Did they all have only one parent?  What did it feel like to have one parent in jail?  Do kids with parents in jail know why their parents are in jail?  Do they think their parents are good people even if they're in jail?  What do I mean some parents don't have cars?  How do they get their kids to appointments though?  Don't they get to go on vacation?  Some people don't make enough money to go on vacation?  What do they do if they need help in school and can't afford a tutor?  What if they need to go to the hospital and they don't have a car?  So, the things I do with my Little Sister are just things that she does with her own parents?  Why do I spend time with this girl when I'm busy?  

She ended with: "Can you write down the website for this program?  I think I'd like to learn more about it."

It astounds me that none of these kids had any idea about how the other half lives.  These aren't celebrity children and none of them live in gated compounds.  They have just never been around poor children.  And they could easily spend their whole lives having no idea that there are people who are struggling to get enough food - not even two miles away.

On the other hand, the kids in the low-income neighborhoods are totally aware that there is an "other half."  They may have many misconceptions about them, but they know they exist.

I feel like this needs to be addressed.  I'm not sure how, but I'd love to hear ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still