Skip to main content

The Blue Paper

I used the last of the blue paper today.  The blue paper was donated in my second year of teaching, in a rather spectacular manner.

By my second year of teaching, I was already exhausted.  I was trying to learn how to teach third grade, dealing with an administrator whose favorite line was "I can have your job, you know!" trying to figure out how to deal with standardized tests, and much, much more.  When I got to part of the curriculum that required the kids to cut and paste and my request for scissors and glue was met by the person in charge of supplies rolling her eyes and saying "We don't have those," in a manner that clearly suggested I was clueless to how schools worked, something in me snapped.  This was the beginning of me begging for help.

I'll write another post at some point about how I may have shamelessly begged every one of my friends and acquaintances to volunteer in the classroom.  I started by begging for supplies.  

After quickly exhausting my resources of friends who had extra supplies (yes, this was back in the day when some schools actually HAD supplies and my friends may have let me "borrow" some of them), I turned to craigslist.  I put up a post on the "items wanted" section saying that I was at an underprivileged school and that we desperately needed supplies, listing which supplies would be helpful.  I got a handful of people who had a few pair of scissors or some scratch paper or just good hearts and encouragement.  I also got two emails which stood out.

One was from someone who was remarkably angry.  The writer of the email, who never used his or her name, stated - with a lot of exclamation marks - that privileged do-gooder teachers need to come to the realization that there is no amount of glue or scissors in the world that can help these children in their education and that simply providing the children with glue and scissors instead of a quality education was only hurting them and who did I think I was anyway?

The other was a little more helpful.  It was from a man named "Koke" (pronounced like the soda) who wanted to know if I wanted some paper.  Of course I wanted some paper.  He said he had a lot and he'd bring it in his pickup if that was OK.

The man had PAPER.

He drove an beat-up, not particularly small, pickup truck.  He was a big guy, in late middle-age, wearing overalls.  I think the story was that he owned a storage facility and someone had left all this paper and he wanted it to go to good use.  The truck was overflowing with paper.  There was probably a paper train all the way down the freeway.  Fortunately, at that point, I lived in a house with a garage, because the paper probably took up almost half of the garage.  There was white paper, salmon-colored paper, and light blue paper.  Some was 11x17, some was 11x14, and some was standard printer paper.  There were boxes and boxes of paper.  We loaded it all into the garage and I couldn't stop staring because there was SO MUCH PAPER.    The salmon and blue paper was pretty faded for the most part, but all the white paper was in good shape.  There were a few boxes of really nice thick light blue paper - almost cardstock - that was glossy on one side.

I loaded up as many boxes as would fit in my car and brought them to school.  I think I put a sign out for the other teachers saying that I had a lot of paper and to please get some.  People would come by, thinking I'd give them half a ream, and I'd give them 7 or 8 reams.  They kept asking if it was really OK for them to take it, because we were all used to hoarding supplies.  I kept bringing more paper from home until everyone had enough.

The problem was that I still had a garage full of paper.  Handing it out to the almost 40 teachers at my school hadn't really made a dent in it.  I brought as much to school as would fit in my classroom and had paper stacked in every empty space, on ever bookshelf, and in the filing cabinets.  I never used the copy machine paper anymore because it was always running out.  I just brought my own.  The kids liked having worksheets and homework on light blue and salmon-colored paper.  They loved the blue glossy paper and used it for painting, drawing, and home art projects.

For the next 6 years, whenever we had standardized tests, an administrator would come to me and ask if I still had some of that extra scratch paper and I'd supply the whole school with paper for the math section.  I gave stacks of it to kids who liked to draw, first in my class, and then - as word spread - to kids all over the school, who I didn't even know.  I gave it away on Freecycle to other teachers at other schools.  I moved boxes of that paper from one classroom to another and from one house to another to the house I'm in now.  My dad had a few choice words about having to move almost a whole truckload of paper when he helped me move in my third year of teaching.  (Also, the library books.  He wasn't thrilled about having to move about 10 books from the public library but I hadn't read them yet and I was staying in the same city, so I didn't want to return them!)  That paper was like the loaves and the fishes.  Or the Hanukkah oil.  It just didn't run out.

When I finished teaching, I still had a stack of blue paper that was probably equal to 5 or 6 reams, but was all in one stack of loose paper.  I've been using it as printer paper and then scratch printer paper, when one side was used.  Today I used the last piece, nine years after Koke brought that truckload to my house.  I have an editing project printed on the blue paper, and now that I've edited it and made the changes on the computer, it's time to get rid of it.  It's a little silly, but there's a part of me that wants to keep that one last piece of the blue paper.

Two years ago: Central America Pictures (I sure would like to be back there now!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still