I didn't work at a school with a lot of overprotective parents. Mostly they told their kids to kick the asses of anyone who messed with them. We did have a few rules at recess, like no tackle football. Although I wouldn't say that these parents are the models for good parenting, it might be even more disturbing to hear about this kind of thing. No games at recess? Kids need games. And by the way, kids need to skin their knees. It builds character. And makes for good scars and stories later in life.
I had some of the most overqualified volunteers ever in my third grade class. This may have had something to do with the fact that I shamelessly begged my friends to help in any way possible. I think there were a few friends who I asked to come as soon as I met them, before I was entirely sure of their names. Some of my volunteers included: -Someone with an MFA helping kids read -a PhD candidate in chemical engineering from Stanford helping with math -a PhD candidate in civil engineering from Cal helping with math -several PhD candidates in engineering from Cal teaching about construction (several years in a row) and helping with a field trip -my extremely talented brother bringing his drums several times -a friend from Pixar who got us tours three different years, once when they were no longer giving tours - and came to the class to sign the kids' toys from Cars . -a physical therapist (who I think has a masters') who helped the kids with reading -many athlet...
Comments