Sunday, August 16, 2009

Back to School

This is the third year I'm not going back to school. I thought about trying to find a part-time teaching job for this school year but nothing came up and I got a lot more copy editing work, so I'm putting it off another year.

I'm finding myself in that stage where I remember only the good things so I get really nostalgic about teaching. Until I remember how tired I was. How very, very tired.

Things I miss about the beginning of school:
  • The excitement of getting my class list
  • Thinking about and praying for my new students
  • Buying school supplies
  • Labeling school supplies (I don't know why that's fun, but it is)
  • Laying out school supplies in their desks
Things I don't miss at all:
  • Getting up early
  • Having more kids in my classroom than I am legally allowed to have.
  • Having the class list change 17 times in the first two days
  • Not having all my supplies
  • Being told that I should be using x book even though I never got x book
  • Being treated like it is my fault I never got the books I needed even though I asked for them repeatedly
  • Having to clean the classroom because it didn't get cleaned during the summer cleaning
Teachers, feel free to join in.

1 comment:

momnpear said...

How about the fact that the class size for 3rd grade and under has risen to 28 kids due to California's budget crisis?

That's enough to think twice about teaching!

You've given a lot to kids that needed a good teacher. What a great experienc save for such a disfunctional bureaucracy.