Skip to main content

Post from Lindsay


Dear B's Readers,

I was very flattered when B asked me to guest blog on her site. As you read this narrative, I ask that you keep in mind that there are three sides to every story, and this is my side. If you want benefit of the doubt, best intentions or any of that hooey, go read something else.

She fired me without ever having seen me teach.

I was hired by aforementioned Principal Three. I had exactly six weeks of teacher education, in an intensive summer program, and I hadn't actually been in a fifth grade classroom since I was ten years old. In an attempt to make my first teaching job possible, he gave me a reduced class size (20 instead of 35), and allowed me to partner with a colleague from my credential program who also had a reduced class size.

I had a supervisor from my credential program who made weekly visits and evaluations of my progress. I taught full-time and spent nine hours every Saturday learning how to be an effective teacher in an urban setting. (As an aside, I think my internship/credentialing program was one of the very best in the state. Overwhelming and stressful, yet also terribly relevant and supportive.) And I had B there, right across the playground, offering teacher materials, discipline support and countless other helpful things first year teachers don't even know that they need. My point is, I was well-supported by people who could teach me how to be effective.

Principal Four started at our school in January, when we returned from the winter break. Two weeks later, she filed with the district to have me removed from my position.

Of course, I wouldn't hear anything about it until I got my first piece of registered mail, when I arrived home from work on March 15th.

To be clear, I have no memory of significant events that may have justified her decision to fire me. No disciplinary action was ever taken or discussed. I never received a stern warning, a friendly reminder, or any feedback on my teaching, aside from a very positive evaluation from the Vice Principal (Principal Two).

Principal Four is Evil Reason #1: When I asked why I had been fired, she flat-out lied to my face and said that it didn't come from her, but the district. After weeks of unreturned phone calls to the district, they confirmed that my release had originated with the principal.

Teachers Unions are Evil Reason #1: The union was unable to offer any protection, as first and second year teachers have absolutely no job protection whatsoever. Even a McDonald's employee can file a wrongful termination suit. In exchange for life-time job security for anyone who makes it past year 2, new teachers have less job security than a subway musician--as long as they show up, they have a job.

After two months of requesting justification for my release, I sat down for a meeting with Principal Four. Among the reasons she sited were the fact that I had used 7 of my ten allotted sick days. Frankly, I don't think I should have to defend myself for taking sick days that were allocated to me, but I'll do it anyway. In your first year of teaching, your immune system isn't is strong as it will become. In your first year of your credential, there are vast amounts of reading and research projects to write. In my first year of teaching, my boyfriend's mom was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer. And I had taken seven days off. Only 70% of what I was allowed to take. Hm.

Another reason that Principal Four gave for my release is that I provided a video for my students to watch while there was a substitute teacher. While I recognize the importance of maximizing instructional time...

Principal Four is Evil Reason #2: ...the next day the entire staff received a memo suggesting strategies for keeping students engaged as we approached the end of the school yeay, and guess what was on the list. Yes! Watching movies! What a phenomenal guess!!

By the end of the school year, I had interviewed and received a job offer at another school in the district. Unfortunately, I was unable to accept the offer. The union's phenomenal negotiating resulted in the district compromising by accepting my resignation, rather than pin me with the non-re-elect status for the rest of my career.

Principal Four is Evil Reason #3: You've already heard the tortilla stand story, so I'll add this observation to the mix. The three individuals (including myself) who she fired from our school were the only teachers at that time with the following two things in common: we were white and we were not tenured.

Plus, she fired me without ever having seen me teach.

You do the math.

Epilogue: My next job was in an equally dysfunctional district, but with a far more functional school culture and management. I learned a ton, grew as a teacher, and was betrayed by the system there as well. It only took one more year of teaching (this one in San Diego) before I quit. Maybe I'll go back, maybe I won't.

Though I don't post there anymore, you can read all about my teaching adventures, opinions, and political analysis at http://www.insideteaching.com.

My regular (if you could call it that) blog is at http://lindsaydayton.blogspot.com/

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, makes you think about becoming a teacher in oakland. They sound ruthless.
Thanks for sharing, Lindsay.

Popular posts from this blog

Volunteers

I had some of the most overqualified volunteers ever in my third grade class.  This may have had something to do with the fact that I shamelessly begged my friends to help in any way possible.  I think there were a few friends who I asked to come as soon as I met them, before I was entirely sure of their names.  Some of my volunteers included: -Someone with an MFA helping kids read -a PhD candidate in chemical engineering from Stanford helping with math -a PhD candidate in civil engineering from Cal helping with math -several PhD candidates in engineering from Cal teaching about construction (several years in a row) and helping with a field trip -my extremely talented brother bringing his drums several times -a friend from Pixar who got us tours three different years, once when they were no longer giving tours - and came to the class to sign the kids' toys from Cars . -a physical therapist (who I think has a masters') who helped the kids with reading -many athlet...

The Difference a School Makes

Update:   9/28/26: If you are reading this, the spoiler alert is that things got much harder for Jorge after this, and we kept in touch over the decades, even as he’s been incarcerated. He’s getting out of prison in early 2027 and I’m raising money to help him start his life fresh because everyone deserves second chances. Please take a look! Wow. I've talked before about the two kids that a friend and I mentor in a way. I'll call them Jorge (the older one) and Luis (the younger). I had Jorge in my class in third grade and he has had it rough. He's the oldest of six children and was born when his mother was 14. His mom is frequently in rehab or jail, although she seems to have been out for the last couple of years. If she's clean or not is anyone's guess. Jorge helped his grandmother raise Luis. He's always been super over-responsible, stressed out, and had way too many adult responsibilities. About a year ago, Jorge started to crack. He was 13, which isn't f...

Cinderella, retold (and much better)

A seventh-grade student rewrote Cinderella and I think it’s much better! The Dressmakers Once there was a girl named Cinderella whose mother died. Then her father married again, a woman who did not care for Cinderella. She only cared for her own daughters and her husband's fortune. Cinderella’s father made sure they were always fair to Cinderella but two years later,  her father died. Cinderella was left alone with her  stepmother and stepsisters. Cinderella was treated like a house maid but got no money for her work. She had to make the meals, iron the clothes and more. But on some things, like cleaning the windows and floor, Cinderella had to clean them five times per day or according to her stepmother, they will not shine as much as they should.    Cinderella would often cry by a tree by her parents' graves. In that tree lived a little bird who Cinderella would talk with. She would talk to the bird about her stepmother’s many chores and little love for her, a...