Skip to main content

Report Card Madness


Report cards come around way too often. OK, maybe they really only happen three times during the school year, but they sure feel like they're always looming over my head. It doesn't help that the report cards are huge (17¼ x 11 inches - too big to work on at a coffee shop, on airplanes, or at my desk) not even counting the separate comments section. Nor does it help that they are made of four layers of "carbonless" paper, which means that every time I fold them or lean on them, let alone make accidental marks, I have to correct four copies.

The main problem is that I am not at all convinced that any of the parents read the report cards, or understand what they mean if they do read them. Some of the fields are measured in numbers (1=Far Below Grade Level, 2=Below, 3=Approaching, 4=Proficient, 5=Advanced), some in symbols (check, plus, and minus), and some in initials (EA=Early Advanced, and so on. And there's a lot of fields to be measured. All of the report cards have to be in English - the best we can do for the Spanish-speaking parents is to give them a blank report card in Spanish so they can see what the different headings are. There's nothing to help any parents who speak any other languages. Yes, I know this is America, but it would be nice if we had some ability to help parents who were showing an interest in their child's education.

And they take a LOT of time to do. I finally looked at a "sample comments" paper a colleague gave me a while back. Never thought I'd run out of creativity with report card comments, but I've been sneaking some looks. There are all sorts of gems like:

XXXX’s attitude toward school is [excellent/very good]. She/he is a [very] good worker and an attentive listener.

XXXX has worked hard to adjust to our class. His/her performance has been up and down, and is often distracted by others in the class. He/she often draws in class instead of paying attention.

He/she needs to read as much as possible to increase his/her vocabulary and comprehension.

XXXX is a bright, intelligent student who enjoys school. He/she works hard to do a good job, especially in Language arts/reading/writing/spelling/math.

Read every day [as much as possible] [frequently] to develop/increase vocabulary and improve comprehension.
I never thought I'd stoop to copying and pasting these things but I'm more tired this year than I've possibly ever been. It might be time for a break from teaching. In the meantime, I'll have to be careful that I copy and paste correctly. It would be awful if I put in the comments: "Billy is a great/hyperactive/psychotic/smelly student. He/She should keep it up/be tranquilized/be committed/be bathed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi.
Go see an endocrinologist and make sure your thyroid is functioning well. Make sure they have some expertise in this. (Are you losing hair? Are you unusually cold? Are you itchy? Are you having more nerve-ending kinds of problems, like muscle aches, carpal tunnel, forgetfulness?) Basically collapsing in exhaustion is in fact a thyroid thing, and prolonged stress (chronic adrenal overload) can trigger thyroid problems.

Also, can I PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE then start showing this blog to people who could possibly help you, like, say, the Alameda Education Foundation? I've wanted to respect your request for privacy, but....If you were in Fremont, we have grants we could give you. they're much easier to write up than report cards. I don't know if Oakland has a Local Ed Foundation, but you'd think their community foundation could get you resources.

I did forward your kleenex/purell DonorsChoose thing to my friend at Kaiser -- not the foundation, just the healthsystem -- but I haven't heard back yet.
Anonymous said…
OK, like

http://www.acoe.k12.ca.us/apps/page.asp?Q=1365

Though frankly I'd contact the east bay foundation and see if they could help you with the disease propagation issues.

We've been discussing the following:

One kid gets sick and misses school, this means the school district loses $35 or so. (Because school funding is SO broken!)

Or, instead, the kid comes to school and gets five other kids sick, of which at least one has to stay home for one day - again $35 minimum to the district.

(In areas of asthma, this possibility increases.)

Or, instead, one sick kid comes to school and the teacher gets sick, and then the district has to pay for a sub, which here is over $100/day, not to mention lost progress.

In contrast: bringing a flu-shot van to school and immunize all the teachers and students. This does start looking economically wise -- as well as being just a good idea.
Bronwyn said…
I got a flu shot and I think I'll get my thyroid checked, although I don't seem to have any of the other symptoms. I'm tired enough that I am actually thinking about taking a year off teaching, although I don't want to leave these kids. I'd love to do something that was 2 days a week (prep teacher?) and something else to pay the bills (writing? who knows). But I don't know if that is financially viable.

You can tell someone at the Alameda Ed Foundation or something if you can find someone who can keep it anonymous. Someone who will agree to only pass on posts that are copied with my name taken out or something? I don't know. I'll think about if I'd be willing for more. I'll post soon about the burnout and specific thoughts about changing careers or taking a "sabbatical" or cutting down hours...

And you're not kidding about the loss of money when kids are out sick! It is seriously messed up!!

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animals

There are several much more serious stories I was going to share, but I'm not in the mood to be made sad tonight, so I'll tell you all about the stuffed animals.  This is a post that needs images so someday when I have or borrow a working scanner, I will add the photos. A few years into teaching, I joined Freecyle.  For those of you who don't know Freecycle, it's a group of people in any given community who are on an email list to get rid of their old stuff and get stuff from other people.  It's a fabulous form of recycling. Somebody posted that they had a huge bag of stuffed animals in good condition to give away and I decided to grab it for my class. I thought that some of the kids would like the stuffed animals, but I certainly didn't think they'd all be into them.  Kids grow up really fast in that neighborhood, and when you have six-year olds talking about how they walk to school alone because their parents say they're "grown," and how

A Loss

  (I have been putting off finishing this blog post for months. You'll see why)  Today, I was cleaning a bookshelf and I found the journal from one of my third-grade students, who I call Fred in my book , in 2001. I still had it because he didn't come to the last day of school to get his stuff this year and I guess it got put in a pile and somehow I've kept it with me.  He didn't come to the last day of school, probably because his family was a mess: dad in prison, mom in an abusive relationship, all the kids (understandably) acting out violently. Fred was expelled from our school in second grade for hitting a teacher. Then he was expelled from the other school, I don't know why, at the end of second grade. He came back on the condition from the administration that he be in my class because I had him as a student in first grade and he listened to me and worked well with me.  We had a really good relationship, although Fred was definitely not easy to have in class.

A New Prison, Part Two

  Second very long part of the prison visit report.   After we got all the paperwork filled out and went through the metal detector, we got visitation slips with the name of the inmate, and made our way over to the other building for visitation. This is not maximum security so thankfully you can just sit next to the inmates, and not be separated by glass or have to use a telephone to talk.    First, you get a gate unlocked and go into a holding pen that is of course in direct sunlight (or rain if it's that season) and surrounded by fences topped with razor wire. You wait there until the gate at the other end is unlocked. This holding pen was a little bigger and less claustrophobic than the other prison (I do not have any claustrophobia and I came very close to a panic attack once at the other place) and they opened the other gate more quickly. Then you walk, again in blazing sunlight (or rain) to the visitation building. This one was less of a walk than the other prison but I still